Protocol for School Closure (Including Adverse Weather)
Unfortunately, there are unavoidable circumstances when the School is forced to close, eg broken boilers, floods and adverse weather.
If we suffer from any of the above the School may have to make the decision to close. The decision will be based on the safety of pupils and staff, together with the possible impact on travel to and from School. Any decision to close the School will be made by the Headteacher in consultation with the Chair of Governors. This decision will be communicated to parents and carers as follows:
1. We will ensure that our website www.stjames-weybridge.surrey.sch.uk is updated throughout the day regarding any developments which might affect the school operating normally.
2. We will send a message by ParentMail as early as possible to alert parents and carers if the School is to remain open or closed (please ensure that your ParentMail account is kept up to date).
3. We will endeavour to pass information on to local radio (BBC Surrey and Eagle Radio).
Decisions will be made as early as possible to support families and carers. In the case of adverse weather the School will aim to inform parents by 7.30am.
If the School does close any pupil that has made their way to School should come into School and wait in the School hall where they can wait safely supervised in the warm until their parent/carer can be contacted.
If the School has to close during the day then the following applies:
1. The School will be closed early only in extreme cases.
2. The decision to close the School will be made by the Headteacher in consultation with the Chair of Governors and the Local Authority.
3. Any decision to close the School early will be passed on to staff, parents and pupils as soon as we have arrangements in hand. This message will be conveyed to parents on the website and sent by ParentMail.
4. Pupils will be expected to be collected from School or if other arrangements apply please contact the School directly.
5. In the event of the above pupils will not be allowed to walk home without direct parental approval. If your child would normally walk home without adults please contact the School IF IT CLOSES EARLY.
6. Staff will remain on site until the last pupil has left.
How parents can help in the event of adverse weather: