At St James C of E Primary our aim is that every child feels safe, happy and cared for at all times.
The school is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and expects all staff, governors, visitors and volunteers to share this commitment.
We recognise that:
- the welfare of the child is paramount
- all children regardless of age, disability, gender, racial heritage, religious belief, sexual orientation or identity, have the right to equal protection from all types of harm and abuse.
- working in partnership with children, young people and their parents, carers and other agencies, is essential in promoting young people’s welfare.
Child protection is part of safeguarding and refers to the protection given to specific children who are suffering, or at risk of suffering or harm. Occasionally, we may need to share information and work in partnership with other agencies when there are concerns about a child's welfare. We will ensure that our concerns about our pupils are discussed with parents and carers first unless we have reason to believe that such a move would be contrary to the child's welfare.
Designated Safeguarding Leads
- Mrs L. Cowden is the Designated Safeguarding Lead (DSL) for Safeguarding & Child Protection
- Mrs Murphy and Mrs Watts are the Deputy Designated Safeguarding Leads (DDSL).
- The Safeguarding & Child Protection Link Governor is Andrew Short
To read our Safeguarding related policies, please click here.
Please see our Safeguarding in a Nutshell for an overview of our Safeguarding procedures.
Safeguarding & Child Protection Training
Safeguarding is the responsibility of all staff at St James C of E Primary School. All staff undergo regular training in Safeguarding, including (but not limited to): Child Protection, Safer Recruitment, First Aid and Prevent (the name given to the training which aims to prevent young children becoming radicalised)
All staff and governors have completed training in Safeguarding and Channel Awareness (Prevent Duty). This training also included attendees reading and agreeing to the DFE’s Keeping Children Safe in Education, the school’s Code of Conduct and the relevant Safeguarding & Child Protection policy documents.
Health and Safety
We take our Health and Safety responsibility very seriously at St James. All staff also regularly complete annual Health & Safety training and read and agree to the relevant school policy documentation.
- Mrs Murphy and Mrs Atkins are responsible for Health & Safety and Premises.
- Our Health and Safety Governor is Greg Pearce